".... the American Academy of Pediatrics, ...says that this is what modern children need - more free time. Good, old-fashioned playtime." THRILLED TO DEATH : Dr Archibald D Hart. p 93-94.
Here is the final post in the series, "SIX AREAS WHERE PARENTS CAN TREAT CHILDREN AS PERSONS".
I have written the following posts advocating that children should be free in their play.
* WEEK 4 QUOTE 4 - Free play helps a child develop concentration and imagination, gives opportunity for trying out ideas and a sense of control over his world.
* WHAT IS PLAY? - Seven properties of play.
* WHO DIRECTS MY CHILD'S PLAY? - Parents getting in the way by directing the play of their children.
You may also be interested in posts on the hijacking effect of technology on play for children.
* SHOULD THE SCREEN BE MY CHILD'S PLAY PAL?
* CHICKS HAVE HENS AND TODDLERS HAVE IPADS.
THISWEEKWITHTHEKIDS ~ spend time watching your children playing. Give some thought to Charlotte Mason's comment of the need for every child to know and experience the power of inventing play for themselves.