Wednesday, August 29, 2012

"HAPPY FATHERS DAY" WEEK 98 QUOTE 98


It is said that Fathers Day began in Spokane, Washington state in America on June 19 1910. The town, about 350ks east of Seattle, was home to Sonora Smart, the eldest and only girl of six children. Her mother had died giving birth to the sixth child, which left Sonora's father to totally parent the family. 
Sonora had great respect for her father, so on hearing about the newly established celebration of Mothers Day in 1908, she thought it appropriate to honour men like her father, and so began promoting the idea in her town. The celebration of Fathers Day did not have much success initially until the 1930's when again through Sonora's efforts, trade groups and manufacturers came onboard with her, leading to what we now experience as Fathers Day.
Sonora Smart married becoming Sonora Smart Dodd. She died in 1978 at the age of 96.
She needed and highly valued her father.
Do you need a father? Why do you need or not need a father?
I asked assorted people these two questions.
"Yes. I love him, he can play with me. And because he gives me things." B aged 4.
"Yes. As a girl growing up the best gift my Papa gave me was time. Time with him not only developed a relationship of love, trust and mutual interests between us but had a crucial part in developing me as a person. I definitely needed and still need a father in my life. Time spent in the garden when I was young, reading over my essays when I was a teenager, weekend breakfast and morning tea as I got older; all these moments taught me to value interaction with family, and what it was like to have the love and respect of a male. A good father teaches daughters to value and seek a loving, trustworthy male and not settle for less. My father has given me and continues to give me confidence. A father's praise increases and daughter's belief in herself. My Papa has molded me into a person of independent confidence, given me determination, eager to make her Dad proud. I'm always excited to spend time with my Dad."
G adult.
"Yes. He's a person that can teach us how to do things, teaches us right from wrong when we are younger. When we're older he's there to cheer us along in our endeavours. A good dad is also always there when we need him and lets us know he loves us whether it's through words (not every dad's style) or he may be more of an action dad."
I adult.
"Yes. He settles the arguments. We need a boss in our house otherwise I am the boss. He plays with me."
J aged 7.
"Yes. So my cocky young male pride gets put back in its proper place."
J teenager.
"Yes. You need a father. As a girl fathers are so important as a close key male figure in your life. This is an important grounding for later healthy relationships with boyfriends and or then spouse."
L adult.
"Yes. To encourage me, like in my sport and my music."
L teenager.
"Yes. Because we're little and not smart and because else you won't learn to be tough."
L aged 10.
"Yes. You do kind of need a father because he does work and gets money for food."
P aged 7.
"No. While I enjoy that emotional family support it's not something that is necessary for me to stay alive. For me now it's an encouraging extra."
R adult.
If you are a father you may like to read the following posts on what your daughters and sons need from their father.
"What Daughters Need from Their Fathers" Week 16 Quote 16
"What Does a Son Need from His Dad?" Week 18 Quote 18 (Part 1)
"What Does a Son Need from His Dad?" Week 19 Quote 19 (Part 2)
"What Does a Son Need from His Dad?" Week 20 Quote 20 (Part 3)
THISWEEKWITHTHEKIDS ~ you may care to ask your kids "Do you need a father?" "Why do you need or not need a father?" and find out what they're thinking. It's undeniable that FATHERS have a huge role to play in their children's lives. 
 THANK YOU FATHERS AND DADS FOR BEING LOVING DADS .  HAPPY FATHERS DAY TO ALL
Here is a visual story of our dog, Dusty taking on Fatherhood - it took time but he really enjoyed it.
Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment