Tuesday, December 27, 2011

"LOOKING BACK ON 2011" WEEK 67 QUOTE 67

"On this occasion, and as the year is coming to an end, it is time to look back on the year and reflect on our activities one more time; reflect on why we are doing what we are doing, whether our activities are appropriate and whether they have the impact we hoped for."
Simone Kloss: ADIDAS Group Blog "A Review of an Adidas Volunteering Year - A Self Reflection." December 5  2011.


This is the last post for 2011, so I thought as some people at the end of this week will be partying into the New Year, while many others in the world are oblivious that a 'New Year' is happening, that I would reflect a little about THISWEEKWITHTHEKIDS, this past year.
One way to look back at the year is to look at which posts have been the most popular ~
1st prize - "PARENTING A SPECIAL NEEDS CHILD" WEEK 41 QUOTE 41
This post clearly IS the winner by a long shot. My dear, gentle, wonderful friend wrote this exquisite post for me and I have asked her for more next year.
2nd - "WHAT A SON NEEDS FROM HIS MUM" WEEK 17 QUOTE 17
This post was the most popular post in 2010.
3rd - "THE MYSTICAL CONNECTION OF THE VERY OLD AND THE VERY YOUNG" WEEK 46 QUOTE 46
4th - "WHAT SONS NEED FROM THEIR FATHERS" PART 3 - Learning About Independence, Masculinity. WEEK 20 QUOTE 20 
This was the second most popular post in 2010.
5th - "HOW CAN WE CELEBRATE A HAPPY FAMILY CHRISTMAS - WITH TEENAGERS?" WEEK 64 QUOTE 64 
One post that I enjoyed writing this year was "THE HABIT OF SELF-PITY" WEEK 47 QUOTE 47. It was so funny because I really wrote it on my plane trip home from visiting my Mum. Once in the air I realized I had a ticket with no movie and no food, so I decided to get working on the scraps of paper with ideas on self-pity scribbled all over them, rather than indulging in self-pity myself. I actually found that deadline feeling very productive - realizing that after touchdown I would arrive home to family and overseas visitor who were staying. This would most likely mean little time to think blog. So with the thing now written, the day after getting home, I 'rudely disappeared' for a while and stuck the post up.
The 6 post series of "PARENTS LIVING UNDER DIFFICULTIES" WEEKS 40 - 45,  was obviously enjoyed by many, probably because each of the people who wrote for me, opened the door so we could look in on what was normal and natural living for them, and as we read, we admired them.
This year I reluctantly got into blogging recipes through the two posts on parents not being responsible in how they feed their children - "RESPONSIBILITY - WHOSE IS IT? Feeding Your Children" WEEK 49 Quote 49  and  "RESPONSIBILITY - WHOSE IS IT? Feeding Your Children - Obesity" WEEK 50 QUOTE 50 . I was left searching and searching for clear help on what is a normal diet for a family, hence "I'M CONFUSED! WHAT IS HEALTHY EATING? WEEK 51 QUOTE 51 
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading and learning a lot of new things and meeting so many amazing people both living and of the past who have given me so much 'food to chew on'. Living IS exciting and I am keen for what will come my way next year.
THISWEEKWITHTHEKIDS ~ here's another quote for you which was also on the Adidas Volunteering Year Blog page - 
"Another important aspect is to prepare the volunteers properly for what awaits them."  - This quote is relevant for us as parents with our children and gives us lots to ponder during New Years.
But back to the three points in the quote I began with.
 ~ Why are you doing what you are doing as a parent?
 ~ Are your activities appropriate as a parent?
 ~ Is the way you are functioning as a parent, having the impact you hoped for?
Now you are going to need more than New Years to think those three through - but they ARE excellent questions to reflect on and finish your year on, then head into a new year with some fresh determination or excitement as you put your resolutions into place.
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU.
Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment